5 Steps To Becoming A Better Duelist

Come here if you are still getting used to the game, or wish to help those who are.
Micky

5 Steps To Becoming A Better Duelist

Post by Micky »

• Finding Your Niche

As a duelist on Kaijudo Portal the first thing you need to understand is that you can't do it all. Each duelist has a certain role or niche in KP. The sooner you figure out what this niche is, the sooner you can start to focus on excelling at it. Dividing these very broadly, what you are looking for is what you normally prefer playing, are you inclined towards aggressive playstyle, or more defensive? Do prefer the better effect, or the more economical one? and so on. This list of question can tend to get very detailed, but its very important that you go through them. The most specifically you identify your niche in KP, the easier it will be for you to figure out how to go about making decks and playing them with perfection.
  • Recognize The Common Deck-Types

This is one of the most important skills a person can learn as far as judging a deck is concerned, whether its your own or belongs to someone else. For this I recommend that you go through the Deck Library (linked in the Cards and Decks section on KP itself). Most of these decks are base decks, almost all the decks you will see in KP will have evolved from these decks in one way or the other. Although when duelists make decks they don't necessarily make them on top of these decks, though that's still not a bad idea. The main purpose of going through these decks is so that you understand how different cores work. Once you understand how they work, as in how they need to be supported, executed, etc, you can understand how to alter these and incorporate them in the creation of your own deck. Whether you do that directly, or indirectly is up to you.
  • It Isn't Plagiarism, Till Its Plagiarism

A lot of the time what keeps duelists from making a great deck is feeling that they would be copying someone deck. Going back to point 1, even if you were to copy the deck exactly as it is, your own specific niche would mostly require you to alter it, and most of the time it would evolve the deck into something that is better. Taking something and making it better is anything but plagiarism. All decks posted on the forums have been posted in order to share the list with the rest of the community, anyone can freely use anyone's decks without needing to ask for their permission. If you like a deck you should try it out, maybe it will help you specific your niche more, maybe it will become the inspiration for your new main deck. Don't be afraid to experiment.
  • Rematch Before You Give Up

Our brains are naturally conditioned to collect data, whether you are logging the duels or not, you are still learning more about your deck and learning more about your deck is what you need to do to improve it and take it to the next level. The problem with data collection for most beginners is unwillingness to rematch against an opponent they have just lost against. You need to understand why you lost before stopping, this is just like when giving practice tests when preparing for an exam, you need to understand the reason why you got those questions wrong in order to improve your score. Just like that in order to improve a deck, you need to understand whats wrong with it. So next time you lose a duel, think about why you lost the way you lost, and if you aren't sure, don't be afraid to rematch to find out.
  • Do What You Love, Enjoy

Duel Masters is a difficult game and a lot of times losing a duel can crush your spirit. Luck is one of the main reasons why this game becomes so harsh. We weigh probability, by logic what is probable can happen even if there is the slightest chance, but still when it doesn't we beat ourselves down. As harsh as Duel Masters can be, enjoyment in the face of all that is a beautiful thing. Duel Masters is like a sport, you fight, and fight till you find out whether you have won or not. To a true duelist the most thing is the fight, not the outcome. But victory is good too.
Happy dueling!
(azeem)

Re: 5 Steps To Becoming A Better Duelist

Post by (azeem) »

wow a really good article nice job dude :D
Devil

Post by Devil »

Looks nice dude .......
Don't mess with me
MIAR, Holy Commander

Post by MIAR, Holy Commander »

You should also learn to lose. One should never get discouraged when one loses.

"Three can keep a secret if two of them are dead"
"The Holy Commander of the forces is enough to send you into oblivion."
the whole master

Post by the whole master »

Thanks for writing this Micky. You totally changed my attitude when losing and when building a deck. When building a deck I always say that " Hm, this deck is just like that one......and I don't want to copy" it, but
now I don't even care, my gamestill will change it in something better for me.
_I_
Micky

Post by Micky »

Night Master wrote:
the whole master wrote:Thanks for writing this Micky. You totally changed my attitude when losing and when building a deck. When building a deck I always say that " Hm, this deck is just like that one......and I don't want to copy" it, but
now I don't even care, my gamestill will change it in something better for me.
lol. "Copy" doesn't mean that you will make a whole replica of "the" deck. Take the idea from others and make your own ideal deck.
Actually, there is nothing wrong with copying decks to make exact replicas even. It has been explained before by CrimsonBrawler as well that the reason we post these decks on forums is to share them, people can definitely use them if they want. Using well built decks that other people have perfected is a good way to learn how different deck mechanisms work, and that knowledge is what helps the most when creating a deck.

I think the_whole_master did understand what I was trying to say, as he mentioned that his game will change the deck(s) to something that would be better for him. Its important to understand that even the most well built decks have weaknesses, and the way we play (or our niche in the game) creates priorities and preferences that make us different from others; it is these differences that naturally provoke us to make changes to increasingly these decks to match our own style, and it is in the essence of the game that one minor change in a deck can require a huge change over-all to make it perfectly balanced.
Relinquished

Post by Relinquished »

MIAR, Holy Commander wrote:You should also learn to lose. One should never get discouraged when one loses.
Some great duelists I know are horrible losers, (*Cough* Burner! *Cough*) but they are still great at the game.

Also, about the "copying" thing, people thought that I copied CB when I made my first KP deck, because it was based on Spirit Quartz. I hadn't even seen anyone using the card before! I'd like to add, that only if you use same kind of build or strategy as someone else in your deck doesn't mean that you copied the deck from that someone. But you shouldn't either get all pissed off if somebody points that, "this is like that other deck..." because obviously there is a decent point behind that. I don't mind if my decks are like someone else's, but if someone points out that they are, I'll work on making them more unique.