CCC#5 Results

This forum contains information on Tournaments that require forum participation from users.

Moderator: Micky

Micky

Re: CCC5 Judging

Post by Micky »

Night Master wrote:Name: Crystal Emperor, Aqua master
Civilization: Water
Race: Liquid People
Cost: 5
Rules Text:
* This creature cant attack.
* Evolution. [ put on one of your liquid peoples]
* [Accelarator]:-
This creature's "This creature can't attack" effect is canceled.
* [Metamorph]
When any of your liquid peoples attack, your opponent sends 1 of his blockers from the battle zone to the owners hand.(Return the blocker before he can block with it)
Power:4000
Flavor Text: Liquid peoples are no longer afraid of seeing the world after the return of the Crystal Emperor, Aqua master
Bell wrote:Why am I summoning a creature that can't attack unless I cross it and only removes blockers at 7 mana? Actually the second effect isn't that bad, but I don't understand what the rest has to do with the art or even the name. Lore wise it doesn't make any sense either but I suppose it might not be clear that literally only Cyber Lords would be Emperors in the Water Civilization. I just don't see the card working out, and usability is fairly important when it comes to making these.
Kyuukei wrote:Way underpowered for an evolution. Overall it's too conservative to be useable or interesting.
Micky wrote:Keeping in mind the Cost-Power ratio and that the effect isn't that strong the whole 'Restriction and Accelerator' make no sense. Train-wreck#2.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Palas wrote:Name- Crystal Prime-Templar
Civilisation- Water
Race- Liquid People
Cost- 3
Power- 5000
Rules Text-
~Evolution: Put on one of your liquid people.
~Whenever this creature breaks a shield, name a card before that shield is broken. The shield is revealed to both players and if it is the named card, this creature breaks one more shield. (Your opponent gets to use any shield trigger or strike back abilities before the next shield is broken).
~Whenever this creature becomes blocked, return the blocking creature to it's owner's hand.
Rules Text- "It's the last of the Prime-Templars. Sadly, that fact only makes him more determined to annihilate all his enemies," - Mini Titan Gett.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I really think water needs something like this. The ability of shield manipulation and spying does not really see much use, and a threat like this could change that. Tekorax + Crystal Prime-Templar <3
Bell wrote:This is a bit too many levels of win to be putting on one card. However since one cannot ACTUALLY have too much win...
The idea of yet another low cost Liquid People evolution would normally be a big deal but given its power being the normal for Evos at this point, and the specific way in which it breaks shields, it can be a true wrecking ball. The only issue really is that it is actually too MUCH of a wrecking ball. While you may feel that Tekorax is good with this, it is FAR too easy to make this card a Quad Breaker on turn 3 or 4 with next to no effort, and the fact that blocking it is basically your only way to stop it, and the wording given means that you cannot actually kill it with the blocker, you're looking at a card that will absolutely obliterate most decks as soon as it lands as long as it has any serious shield peek support. Liquid Scope? Recon Operation? It's a bit sad really because you did so well in every other aspect, it's a shame that I have to take the win from it due to such a simple thing. But in the end, as it is, this card is either badly worded or extremely overpowered, and there is incredibly little that an opponent can do about it.
Kyuukei wrote:If it couldn't instantly plow through everything with minimal support I'd give it a win. Unlike the original Aqua Master, it is otherwise a nice example of shield peeking done right. But as it is currently worded, it's a total gamebreaker, sadly.
Micky wrote:I absolutely love the card. After I read the first part of the effect and then saw that there was another effect I was like "Oh god he is going to ruin it all now with some weird restriction or something", but I was soo wrong! I love the second part of the effect. Damn this card it just too awesome. The flavor text isn't as epic as it could've been but at least it has a connection to the card effect. Now the only issue is that if the card design is relevant enough to the card art, to be honest for me its not an obvious connection at all, I don't see the card as a 3 cost, but I know that with evolutions you can go low cost and large creature. I am just a little on the fence as far as the connection to the art goes but when you have card effects with that much innovation and strength then the personality of the creature in the card art is not defined by the image but by the designers concept. A true design success is one in which the designer defines the creation, I think you just defined this card.

Edit: After reading what Bell wrote I noticed that the way the card is worded the effect can be used over and over. I had just assumed it only worked for the first shield broken (I believe that's also how you intended it to be?). I think its really unfortunate that its worded like this, I was truly hoping to see this card win.
Micky

Post by Micky »

(Neon) wrote:Name: Crystal Moderator
Cost: 8
Rules Text: Evolution [ put on one of your liquid peoples]
-When you put this creature in the battle zone, players returns non water creature from the mana zone and from the battle zone to their owners hand.
- Triple breaker

Power:13000
Flavor Text: "Get ready for Aqua Moderator!"
Bell wrote:No.
Kyuukei wrote:What.
Micky wrote:Image
Micky

Post by Micky »

Rashaskool wrote:Aqua Battlemaster
cost:5
look at the top three cards in your deck. you may put one cross gear from those three cards into your hand and place the other two cards on the bottom of your deck in any order. If the cross gear you took costs equal too or less than the amount of cards in your mana zone, you may generate that card for no extra cost.

I really wanted that shell suit - Aqua Hulcus
Bell wrote:Even if we assume race because it is really obvious, and even if I assume power to be 3000, this card still does really annoying, borderline overpowered things. Water simply has too many ways to make sure it works, and there are basically no gears that will fail to be generated. So that makes this card a +1 that goes straight to the battle zone with a bit of effort. I don't see the connection to the art TOO much either but it does kind of work. I don't quite get the Flavor Text but I'm probably overthinking it.
Kyuukei wrote:Too easy to overpower that effect for that cost, and since it has no power it can't be judged anyway.
Micky wrote:Incomplete. No power, no creature.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Romanoff Blitzer wrote:Aqua Katana (Power: 2000 / Cost: 7 / Civilization: Water / Race: Liquid People/Samurai)
■ When you put this creature into the battle zone, you may choose one of your opponent's creatures and return it to its owner's hand. Then, you may search your deck for a cross gear with a cost less than the cost of the returned creature's and add it to your hand.
■ Accelerator (While this creature is crossed with a cross gear, it gains the following Image ability.)
Image Your opponent plays with their hand revealed. Your creatures get +2000 power for each creature in your opponent's hand.
"Get your weapons and CHARGE!"

The art looks more like a knight to me, but the name "Aqua Knight" is taken.
Bell wrote:There's enough variations in the world to find another knight related name. Granted, a lot of them were taken by the time you posted but there would still have been enough out there to make do. As is, the problem stands that it's clearly not Katana related, and clearly not a Samurai. I do like the effect, somehow more bounce never seems to be a problem. I can't really say that the power is low, if anything I would say that the ability is more of a scout's than a knight's, but that'd just be nitpicky. It's not bad overall, but the name and flavor text don't help it. The other issue is that the power boost condition actually makes the card quite odd to use because it is very unlikely that the turn you play it (and they therefore have at least one creature in hand) is the turn you can cross it. This means that your opponent has to be in an interesting situation. However given the amount of bounce water does it can probably still be decent on top of the other effects. The obvious question to me is... why didn't you make it a Knight creature?
Kyuukei wrote:The Accelerator effect ties in nicely to Water's general propensity for bouncing stuff, but as it is I feel this card should be a bit faster. Current form seems a tad unwieldy. I don't really mind the liberties taken on the name or race, but slow card is slow.
Micky wrote:A nice idea for a card effect. Whats funny is that after making the art Bell and I talked about potential names and Aqua Katana came up, but in-case you aren't aware, that is not what a Katana looks like. As for the flavor text I think its a perfect example for all those contestants that gave their entries horrible flavor texts, not saying this one is great but this is what should be the 'average' standard, at least. The additional race, Samurai, is something I don't really get, but since it is still a Liquid Person giving it an additional race doesn't really break the rules, and Samurai is relevant thematically for your entry. My issue with this card is its usability, you managed to balance the cost-power ratio well with the main effect but its just the timing of the card that makes its usage very limited in my opinion.
Micky

Post by Micky »

rock star wrote:Crystal Trilancer
Cost - 7
Power -8000
Mana-1
Type - Evolution Creature
Civilization:Water
Rules Text - [Blocker] (When a creature is battling you can tap this creature to stop that)Put on one of your creature that has liquid people in his race.
When you put this creature the into Battle zone choose 2 of your opponent's creature and send them into his hand.This creature can't be blocked.

Double breaker(this creature breaks 2 shields )

Flavour text-My name was crystal freezancer but cause i did three works at a time liquid people strted telling me Crystal Trilancer
Bell wrote:Overpowered, though adding Blocker is as usual decent. This card really doesn't give the feeling, from the art, of a bounce card, I might add, at least not on summon. It's not something I would fuss about, but this one is overdoing it on too many levels.
Kyuukei wrote:Nooo no no. Throwing on Teleportation's effect like that makes this thing FAR too dangerous. I would like it much better if it were 7/7000 and had some cool utility effect, but as-is this thing is simply nuts.
Micky wrote:If you had played around with the effect a little and tried to fit it into a different cost/power ratio by changing it up, I think it would've been a much more interesting card over all than what we see here right now.
Micky

Post by Micky »

lukasz wrote:I don't think I might end up good with this but here is my try!

Name: Crystal Cooler
Rules Text:
- [Freeze] When a creature with Freeze attacks your opponent and isn't blocked, you may choose 1 of your opponent's creatures in the battle zone and tap it. That creature doesn't untap at the start of your opponent's next turn.
- [Metamorph] If you have more than 3 civilisations in your mana zone the [Freeze] effect is cancelled and can't be reactivated by the following effect. For every civilisation in your mana zone choose a creature in the battle zone. The chosen creature gains [Freeze].
Power: 2000
Flavor Text: "It doesn't melt.. what kind of sorcery is it? - Bolmeteus Steel Dragon

:)
Bell wrote:Non evolution with Crystal name. Freeze is good for this cost and power, the Metamorph effect made no sense, at any point of reading it. That said, it wasn't too bad totally. I think if you had simply found a better way to set up the 'sharing' of the Freeze it could have been a contender. Flavor text is nice but I can't help but feel you could have chosen a better creature to be saying it, which, while it IS being a bit extreme, I feel would not be that much, at LEAST pick a Rock Beast or Melt Warrior for this.
Kyuukei wrote:Mo' like Crystal Frieza 8-)

Anyway, I love Freeze conceptually, but the Metamorph totally gave me a headache. A better execution there and it would be one of my top picks.
Micky wrote:Over all I like this entry. Have to admit the flavor text does sound quite corny, the wording on the [Metamorph] is odd, and we can't give you points for creativity as far as [Freeze] itself is concerned, but what we can give you credit for is picking Freeze for this particular art. The whole essence of Freeze revolves around attacking and defending at the same time, which is also reflected by the art with the Shield + Sword. You understood that part of the art and instead of just taking the easy way out by giving the creature Blocker like many of the other entries have done, you actually took your understanding and stuck it right in the center as the main effect. I applaud you for that.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Relinquished wrote:Name: Crystal Tidemarine
Water, Liquid People.
Cost: 6
Power: 8000
Rules Text:
Evolution- Liquid People
[Double Breaker]
[Accelerator]: This creature can't be blocked.
When this creature attacks your opponent, and isn't blocked, all of your creatures get:
''This creature gets +1000 power and can't be blocked.''
Untill the end of the turn.
Favlour Text:
''The water shall bury everything! At least temporarily.''
Bell wrote:To me, another 'more complex Lancer'. The thing I don't understand is that this card doesn't give the impression of a Lancer, art wise, at all. I'm very torn on this card because I can see how it is really useful to have a creature this size that your opponent has to block, and I know I should not really judge it by the fact that the stats are Lancer-like, but I can't seem to get over my bias on it so I will ask that my opinion not be counted for this one.
Kyuukei wrote:I like the concept of a Lancer equiv with more utility. In my opinion, the art certainly makes him look agile enough for this sort of effect to work out. The background art is for an unblockability-inducing spell anyway and this also captures the implied Zergrush well. Good job!
Micky wrote:Really nice, you are just really good at this. I didn't feel as much awesome from the flavor text as I have from your entries in the past but the way the two effects come together is just great. Its a great Liquid People evolution in my opinion that holds its own among other Liquid People evolutions, good job.
Micky

Post by Micky »

the_prince_of_light wrote:Name: Aqua Berserker
Power: 2000
Race: Liquid People/Warrior
Type: Creature
Rules Text:
ϟ Rage: +1000 (When battling, this creature gets 1000 power for each creature in your mana zone with "Warrior" in it's name or race)

Whenever this creature wins a battle, reveal the top card of your deck. If it's a creature with "Warrior" in it's race you may summon it immediately for no cost. If it is not a "Warrior" or you choose not to summon it, send the card to your hand.

Flavour Text:
Courage, above all things, is the first quality of a Warrior.

Extra Notes: Warrior is a (fictional) shared race between all 5 civilizations. It's usually a secondary race along with Liquid People, Humans, Dragonoids, Initiates, Beast Folk, Ghost etc. Cost is between 2-5 and base power is usually low. Warriors have unique abilities restricted to their race (Rage, inspiration etc.) and usually benefit from the presence of other warriors.
Bell wrote:I was so with you except that it's a knight. It's so obviously and clearly a Knight. Like. the opposite of a Berserker, in practically any lore you could have derived the concept from. I also don't see why a rage effect would be based on creatures in the mana zone, at all. Everything fits together quite well, and unfortunately in my mind it is all for naught because the two 'bases' required don't fit the card at all as far as I see it. (Why didn't you give it 'Inspiration' then?)
Kyuukei wrote:I can roll with a fictional race just fine. Per the overall feel of the card though, I agree with Bell in that Inspiration would sound much better. Not a top contender since the thematics are a bit off, but quite nice otherwise.
Micky wrote:Do you really expect us to judge your entry based on a fictional race? Because without that its just a 5/2000 creature that does almost nothing. Again, I expected more from a previous CCC winner, especially one that designed my favorite entry throughout the CCC series so far. This on the other hand is train-wreck #3.
Micky

Post by Micky »

KAI12345 wrote:Aqua King The Lord of the Ocean
mana - 9
evolution - liquid people
When you put this creature to the battlezone choose any number of your opponent's creatures and return them to his hand
players may not cast a non water spell
double breaker

"Our lord has returned.Lets wipe out the fire civilisation now , march ahead comrades!!!"-Aqua surfer
Bell wrote:It's really too obvious. The problems here are simple. Liquid People don't lead the water Civilization. Assuming you did not know that, you gave a cost 9 creature one sided omni-removal. This seems alright in a sense but if you look at Dorballom and ALphadios you might note that part of the reason they are allowed to be that strong is that against opponents of the same civ they don't do anything. This is very important.
Kyuukei wrote:Words to the effect of "no." Unilateral removal regardless of civ is ridiculous, and you forgot the power.
Micky wrote:The train has been wrecked thrice, and is now rotting in hell.