CCC#5 Results

This forum contains information on Tournaments that require forum participation from users.

Moderator: Micky

Micky

CCC#5 Results

Post by Micky »

We know you guys have been waiting very long for these results, and we apologize for taking this long but anyways, here they are!

This time around we have made a little change to how much of the judging process we reveal to the public. This time you will be able to see the exact comments from each judge. Below are all the entries, quoted in chronological order, along with the judges comments.

The winner is announced at the end of these judging posts.

As a reminder, here is the card art the contestants were asked to design for (click here for more information on the contest rules):
shreyash wrote: Name:crystal general,the sparkling steel survivor
Civilization: Water
Race: Liquid People/survivor
Cost: 13
Rules Text:
1.soul shift
2.Evolution:put this creature on top of one of your creatures that has liquid people or a creature that has survivor in its race
3survivor:wave striker:this creature gets 5000 power,double breaker and when this creature is destroyed return it to your hand instead.
4.When this creature's wave striker ability is activated this creature gets triple breaker,other wise it has double breaker.
Power:8000+
Flavor Text:"I strike with my friends that strike with a wave and make me a real powerful creature in the water world"-crystal general,the sparkling steel survivor
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.soul shift-the cost of this creature is reduced by the cost of the creature this creature is evolved on.eg.if this is evolved on aqua hulcus the cost will be 13-3=10
2.survivor:-all survivors share there abilitys with each others.
3.wave striker:-all wave striker creatures have some ability.those ability activate when there are 3 or more wave striker in the battle zone(it includes you and your opponents creatures).
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

this section is for clearing the doubts on this card
this creature ability activates when there are three wave strikers(survivors, because all the survivors become wave strikers).
also this creature has triple breaker only others are double breakers.
all of the survivors in the battle zone become wave striker.it is not neccessary for them to have a ability when wave striker activates but they have wave striker and contribute in making three wave strikers.
btw also my cres name short form: CGTSSS.if u add a "K" in start it becomes "KCGT" and if u reverse the last words it becomes "SST" a subject.i found it long after my post
Bell wrote:Needlessly complicated, overdone in every possible way, and that isn't a good thing here. The thing is I could have liked it in smaller amounts quite a bit, but it just went ridiculously over the top. Once I got to 'All Survivors become Wave Strikers' I was done. Sorry, but I can't really give a good rating to something that doesn't seem to temper itself at all. That said, Soulshift was a nice idea for it, and I can say that the Soulshift part for this particular creature, if its effect made more 'sense', would be great, since it really does a good job of limiting how quickly you could play a card this powerful and the habit of evolving on Aqua Guard.

Kyuukei wrote:Too much stuff. A card should never give you a headache simply by virtue of trying to read it. Conceptually I love Soulshift but it should not be percieved as an excuse to throw on anything else you can think of.

Micky wrote:Absolutely hate the name, mainly for its length, clearly he didn't pay attention to the hint that suggested looking at other LP for name trends.

I see what he was trying to do with Wave strikers + Survivors, and clearly he too noticed he was doing something that could very easily become broken, but his method of balancing it (13 cost with soul shift), doesn't impress me. I personally would prefer if people stick with our current KP DM mechanics. But nonetheless a daring attempt, *claps for him having the guts to make it*.

The flavor text is also very sad, it seems like he had something nice going on in his hand when he through about it, but not well executed.
Devil wrote:Name- Aqua General
Race-Liquid People
type-Creature
cost-5
power-2500
mana-1
rules-

when you put this creature into the battle zone choose one creature and return it to its owner's hand.

" He is Super Hero, He is Super Villon in other words He's super Freak!!!!"

Bell wrote:Well, this is a good idea in its own small corner but when you look at the gamestate, giving Liquid People cost 5 bounce to go with their cost 6 bounce and having it be this strong... Also why does it have that extra 500 power? I really hoped that whatever got the Aqua General name would wow me, this doesn't, and now I rather hope that someone else still used General regardless. Flavor text, I cannot be kind about. Absolutely ridiculous and would have dragged down a card even with a fairer effect.

Kyuukei wrote:The maths, they do not check out. Neither does the flavour text. Civ blocker is in itself a neat way to spice up a card, but throwing it onto a Corile with 500 extra power (note: only Light gets that) just doesn't work.

Micky wrote: I'm not sure if the trend in only Light creatures having the 500 power is consistent, but since that's how it usually is and since he went there I'm going to penalize him for it.

I can't help but compare this will Corile, but I don't REALLY mind that part of it. I like the Fire Blocker bit, I can totally see the creature being an anti-fire warrior in some way, he has a nice shield too, so Fire Blocker really fits well for me. But I dislike the Flavor Text, makes no sense with he name in mind.

Moving on I hope to see more entries with Fire Blocker for this card art, and also come great references in flavor texts. *fingers crossed*
Micky

Re: CCC5 Judging

Post by Micky »

ZeroVash wrote:Name: Aqua General
Card Type: Creature
Race: Liquid People
Cost: 5

Rules Text: When you put this creature into the battle zone, search your deck. You may take a Liquid People from your deck, show that Liquid People to your opponent, and put it to your hand.. Then shuffle your deck.
All your other Liquid People get +1000 power.

Power: 3000
Flavor Text: "Thats exactly what we were lacking... A General ! Now march to the battlefield" - Crystal Lancer
Bell wrote:The simplicity here means I can't give it many points for originality, but the way it ties everything together is just brilliant. This would be a great addition to the Liquid People and at the same time not completely overwhelm what one would generally be going for with them, making it a steady, nearly staple card for any deck seriously focused on them or their evolutions. The versatility of the race, the ability to shift the battle situation, almost perfect in every way. The Flavor text I could say leaves a tiny bit to be desired, but I am probably just being picky, because I don't get the feeling of 'perfect' even though the idea of it is so very good. This is an instant favorite for me.
Kyuukei wrote:I kinda like this. Narrowing the effect of Rumbling Terahorn whilst simultaneously providing racial support is nice for flavour. Not the most interesting thing one could come up with, but also quite solid in itself, and rather befitting the name General.
Micky wrote:Even though the name for this one is the same as the one above, I do think he came up with it himself. The card does kinda look somewhat like a general, and it does have other liquid people on it too, so it makes sense to make it a race based card. Personally for me though, this is too safe. I can imagine this being a rl card, but I don't find anything fascinating about it. Even if the flavor text was a bit stronger, maybe this would've been one of the top ones, at least for me.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Demerzel wrote:Name: Aqua Zealot
Mana Cost: 4
Mana Number: 1
Power: 1000

Rules Text:
  • Whenever you put a creature into the battle zone, this creature gets 'Blocker' and +1000 power until the start of your next turn.
  • While this creature is a Blocker, it cannot be Blocked and untap it at the end of your turn.
Flavor Text: "I am both sword and shield! ...yeah it does get a bit tiring."

---

Synergy with Shining Defense (the shield).
Bell wrote:Absolutely stunning. It benefits swarm without overdoing it, balances its own effect perfectly and the flavor text, the glorious flavor text that gives you the real feeling of this creature darting around, breaking shield, then untapping, then blocking attack, then doing it all over again, is just wonderful. Synergistic with shield trigger creatures when things start to go bad and you have not managed to summon somehow, yet still perfectly fair due to the simple fact that it just isn't directly powerful enough to grief opponents really. Cards like this are the reason I love the CCC.
Kyuukei wrote:Not bad. Sufficiently creative. It's very reminiscent of a single-civ Lukia Lex and is balanced accordingly by virtue of requiring support, which is quite nice and befits the artwork well. Overall, I like.
Micky wrote: I love it, wish the flavor tex....actually its growing on me. Ya. love it.
Micky

Post by Micky »

CrimsonBrawler wrote:Name: Crystal Einhander
Card Type: Evolution Creature
Cost: 6
Rules Text:
-Evolution - Put on one of your Liquid People
-Whenever this creature is attacking your opponent and isn't blocked, choose one of your creatures in the battle zone, ignore any effects that would prevent that creature from attacking this turn.
-[Double Breaker]
Power: 6000
Flavor Text: "When Einhander is around, always be mindful of his belt tether before you're unsuspectingly flung about." ~Aqua Jolter

Einhander FAQ:

Q:
@Crimson Brawler: Does that also allow the creature to attack your opponent's creatures? If so, what happens of you cast it on Aeris: can it attack a non-darkness untapped creature?

And what happens if your chosen unit is already tapped?
A: Yes Einhander's effect allows the chosen creature to attack your opponent's creatures. No, Aeris will not be able to attack non-darkness creatures untapped. It will, however, be able to attack tapped non-darkness creatures. If the creature is already tapped, it cannot be chosen by Einhander.

Q: (ish)
@ CrimsonBrawler : I don't think Aeris should be able to attack untapped non-light creatures via your card's effect. There is no "effect" preventing a creature from attacking untapped creatures, its a normal thing, and attacking just dark untapped creatures is a bonus of Aeris, just my thoughts..
A: (ish)
It cannot, the original question was misread which led to an unintended answer.
Bell wrote:I truly love this. Though I don't particularly feel 'wow this effect is cool', that isn't why I love this card. The entire aesthetic feel of it, especially given the card art, is just amazing, you get that strong feeling of 'others being urged on', even an Aqua Guard or a Tajimal being taken by the hand or something and charging right on through. The only issue I really have with it is that needing to not be blocked reduces its usability quite a bit, even though this feeling also fits in perfectly, in my opinion, with the art and concept. I think I personally would either have given it more power, or made the card you choose also unblockable, but this to me is a sterling example of rolling everything into one brilliant package.
Kyuukei wrote:Personally I love it. As Bell said, it brilliantly throws everything together, and also makes the background art tie in quite nicely. The effect isn't really 'vavoom' but the overall feel is nearly perfect. Nice name too.
Micky wrote:Ok, those two minutes I wasted trying to make sense CB's answer to the first question, I'm never going to get back. Anyways, I'm not too excited about this, maybe because the entry before this was soo awesome. I personally think this would suit a Light Evolution more, perhaps even non evolution, like a cool Berserker.

Its not that this is a 'bad' entry, it is very 'complete', but its just hard..Liquid People evolutions are just such fan favorites, I don't think this matches up.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Outcast wrote:Name: Crystal Champion
Cost: 7
Rules Text:
-Evolution - Put on one of your Liquid People.
-Whenever this creature battles an opponent's creature and wins, your opponent can't summon a creature of the same name until Crystal Champion leaves the battle zone.
-This creature leaves the battle zone only when it loses a battle or if it wins a battle against a creature that has 'Slayer'.
-Double Breaker
Power: 6000
Flavor text:"Where the hell is my horse?"

Support by prince_of_light
Bell wrote:Love the name, don't like the flavor text as much, because although it draws attention to the fact that the card is an evolution Liquid Person without the customary four legs, drawing attention to that when the choice was there to simply not make it an evo, while slightly funny, seems kind of like just filling the flavor text slot. I can't say that I like the first effect, at all, but it is very creative, I think the reason I do not like it is because it is difficult for me to perceive the 'why' of it, which might just be my lack of imagination. Here's to hoping the other judges see something I don't. The second effect is poorly worded but I do somewhat like it, the problem with it is that you shouldn't give cards the ability to be 'eternal sacrifice bait', not even evos, but given its high cost I won't fuss over that too much. I can see why it has such a lower power ratio given that point, it's just a little 'iffy' to have a card that turns Rothus or similar 'sacrifice' cards into free plays.
Kyuukei wrote:I don't really mind the first effect for a card like this given the low (for an Evo) base power. While it requires some work to get the best mileage out of, it can be incredibly powerful in return and I like that. However, it loses points for me by virtue of being, as Bell said, eternal sacrifice bait. Regardless of the lesser base power, I find that a bit unbalancing considering that you could make him quite hard to kill in any number of ways.
Micky wrote:First things first, props for using support! Being a CCC title holder yourself and then getting support from Prince of Light, also a CCC title holder, doesn't get better than that.

Now getting to the card itself. I like the name, personally I prefer Champion over General (maybe because my father is a General).

The main effect is interesting, very creative I'll give you guys that. The first effect to me seems weak considering it is an Evolution Creature and has a decent cost of 7. I think it could've easily been an 'on attack' effect rather than on 'win battle', but unfortunately we have to judge the card as it is. Normally at this point I would look for some other way the card has been given strength, the obvious being literally giving it a high power but this creature has a mediocre power, if not low. So getting to the second effect, I think that's where it all comes together. Basically its a stronger version of "When this creature would leave the battle zone by the effect of an opponent's spell, it stays in the battle zone instead." effect (I thought both creatures lose if one is a slayer?); these effects are very powerful in their own, which makes me wonder if this card would've been overall broken if the first effect would've been slightly more powerful, and I think, yes, it would've been (Assuming its not broken right now. I'll leave that up to Bell to clear up).

Now getting to best part of the whole card, the flavor text, genius! I love it soo much that its hard to explain, I just love good humor like this. It makes me smile everytime I read it. Regardless of if you guys win, bravo!
Micky

Post by Micky »

Tetradragon wrote:Name: Crystal Cavalier
Type: Evolution Creature
Cost: 4
Power: 000+
Rules Text:
Sympathy: Liquid People Evolutions
When you put this creature into the battle zone you may draw upto 2 cards.
This creature gets the abilities of all cards below it, combined.

Flavor Text:
"Master! Our resources are built up. All this shady working will finally pay off. We await your rise, Master!" - Aqua Hulcus

Note: This card might be difficult to understand, so an example: If i have an Aqua Soldier in battle zone and evolve it into Crystal Lancer and then evolve it into Crystal Cavalier, this card has:
Cost: 9 (6 + 3) (cost is still 4 while evolving it,it becomes 9 for things like miraculous rebirth)
Power: 9000

And for things like being evolved on a hulcus
Rules Text:
This creature cant be blocked. (Lancer)
Whenever this creature is destroyed, return it to your hand instead. (Soldier)
Triple Breaker (2 for Lancer and 1 for Aqua Soldier)

And for things like being evolved on a hulcus, you may draw a card. For sniper effect, you may send 2 creatures to hand as well.
Bell wrote:Adding complexity to brilliance is not your friend. The first thing I have to say is that I actually somewhat like the idea of reusing the effect of whatever you evolve it on, but since it has no base power, you can't really justify playing it directly because the question arises of why you bothered to evolve it at all. Which brings us to the second part of it, the draw, which would be the real reason to play it, but is also fundamentally too strong because now you're giving people a cost 4 draw 3 whenever it evolves on a Hulcus. This is quite harsh at the speed that Water decks move, and since it replaces itself in hand but by many removal methods is still useful to the player, it gets very iffy. Most of all I consider the usability to be tossup between useless and overpowered, because especially with Aqua Soldiers now you are looking at a card that draws two cards on summon and returns to hand when destroyed. Bringing Skydiver into this just gets trippy. On the other hand, one would never evolve a Lancer, Paladin or Jouster into this if it didn't have the draw. I like the name, and I think it somewhat fits, but something went wrong in here and I don't really think I can say how, exactly. A good try but making a card like this requires a lot of research into how it will work with everything else.
Kyuukei wrote:It's an interesting concept, but you have to be extremely careful with a cost 4 draw 2 evolution, regardless of it having no base power. Evolving an Aqua Hulcus into this thing on T4 is incredibly harsh, and somehow evolving from (for example) Aqua Sniper at virtually any point feels incredibly mean. A neat idea but too easily overpowered as-is.
Micky wrote:On one hand I like the idea of something that merges an evolution to its bait, its the first time I've ever come across such a thing, so great job as far as creativity goes. Also its worth noting that if the game had such an effect, it does make most sense to have it in a 'water' card.

I personally like the fact that the card isn't useless if evolved on top of a non-evolution liquid person. From the little analysis I have done, I don't think the card is 'obviously' broken (comparing it to Brain Serum).

I like how it works can work with Crystal Spinslicer, but I also like how it can work with the other evolution, as he pointed out himself. Its kinda odd pretending like both cards you evolve this on top of were re-summoned somehow, but still very interesting, and innovative (which is what this competition is all about). I was quite disappointed with the flavor text, I think considering the card has such an original concept you could've easily linked it to the card in a stronger way and gotten a much better result over all. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but currently it hurts my head to read that flavor text.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Kizuna-96 wrote:Name: Crystal Exceed
Type: Evolution Creature
Cost: 7
Power: 6000+
Rules Text:
Super Infinite Evolution - Put on a combination of one or more of your "Liquid Peoples" or creatures with "Cyber" in its race.

Super Chain Generation(When you put this creature into the battle zone, reveal the top card of your deck. If that card is a creature, you may put into the battle zone. If that card is a spell, you may cast it without cost or add it into your hand If that card is a cross gear,you can generate it and cross it onto your creature without cost.)

When this creature wins a battle, you can choose a creature in the battle zone whose power is equal or less than the difference of this creature's power and the destroyed creature's power and return it to its owner's hand.

Up to two times per turn, when this creature would be destroyed, it stays in the battle zone instead.

If this creature has over 12000 power, it has "Triple Breaker". If this creature has over 18000 power, it has "Quadruple Breaker" instead.

Double Breaker

Flavor text: "The King's determination is concieved with a wave that washes away the opponent and becomes an infinite blade!"- Crystal Exceed
Bell wrote:... what?
Kyuukei wrote:huh.
Micky wrote:I don't think its fair to the contestant for me to judge the card effect based on my limited knowledge of later JP sets. I'll leave this one up to the other judges.

I like the name, but the flavor text sounds corny (very duel-masters-ish though!).
Micky

Post by Micky »

Madcow wrote:All right thanks for clarifying that, nice card by the way.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Name: Crystal Crusader
Power: 8000

Rules Text :
  • Evolution : Put on one of your Liquid People.
  • While this creature is untapped, all of your water creatures have "Blocker".
  • While this creature is tapped, all of your other water creatures have +2000 power and can't be blocked.
  • Whenever one of your other water creatures would be attacked, this creature blocks if able.You may untap it after the battle whenever it blocks in this way.
  • Double Breaker (This creature breaks two shields)
Flavour Text : "Madness?! This.. IS.. AQUA!"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments/Suggestions are obviously welcome!
Bell wrote:Now here is the kind of thing I was hoping to see but definitely not expecting to see. This entire 'standing' feeling is very good, and I can't say that I see any overpower given that you are getting multiple effects but never at the same time. A solid card and something I could easily see existing. Furthermore the flavor text, while completely unoriginal, actually fits well with the image, as the effect obviously does. I can't give you any 'points' for it in my mind but I won't look down on it either. Personally I'd just take it off altogether. I'm surprised that no one suggested you change it. Regardless, good show
Kyuukei wrote:Neat concept. Personally I love things that have different support effects depending on whether or not they're tapped. Quite a solid (if liquidious) card and probably something I'd use if I ever made a Liquid People deck.
Micky wrote:People really need to be more serious about their Flavor Texts, its the last thing we read so it definitely leaves a very important last impression, and in this case, for me, it wasn't a good one. The card over all though is pretty solid, I like the concept of the first two effects, I can totally image the creature in the art with a huge army behind him, and having the ability to block when they are standing or go all-in with full force, pretty genius. Intentional or not, the fact that you did manage to capture the contrast between guarding and the 'slight power boost' an army gains when they just go for it and attack! love that. That said, I don't think I'd ever evolve this creature and find the restraint to not attack with it, but I can see potential synergy this creature has with some other cards out there. Also, I love how if one decides to keep it untapped and has another water creature out, that once Crusader blocks, the other water creature becomes an even stronger blocker. As far as I can see this is definitely not overpowered, nor underpowered, its perfectly balanced. Great job, just wish you had brought it home with the flavor text.
Micky [After Judging] wrote: Only half a point separated the 2nd and the 3rd card, yours was one of them. Very close.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Radical One wrote:Name: Aqua Gladiator
Power: 4000

[Rules Text]
- When you put this creature into the battle zone, draw a card for each of your water creatures in the battle zone.
- This creature can't be blocked

[Flavor Text]

- "Onwards to Victory." - Aqua Gladiator
Bell wrote:It's a little bland and slightly overpowered. Even though draw is quite powerful naturally as cost increases, this card draws for itself, the way it is currently worded. I suppose that is not really that bad even if you add unblockability as well, but once it starts to stack it gets really problematic, especially if you are using the type of water creatures required. That said, overall the effect sort of fits the art. Not the name, though, so you can't get points for that either. Flavor text is nice and simple, maybe a little too simple, but that just means it doesn't wow me. Mostly the slight overpower and the lack of consistency in theme is the issue.
Kyuukei wrote:Slightly overpowered and no points for creativity. Should have been a bit more 'fluid' in the design.
Micky wrote:I don't see any connection to the art other than the name, nor do I see any connection in between the elements of your card.
Micky

Post by Micky »

Anik wrote:Name: Crystal Upholder

Power: 8000

Rules Text:

- Blocker (Whenever an opponent's creature attacks, you may tap this creature to stop the attack. Then the 2 creatures battle.)
- Evolution ( Put on one of your liquid peoples)
- Fire Stealth (This creature can't be blocked while your opponent has any fire cards in his mana zone.)
- Double Breaker (This creature breaks two shields.)

Flavor Text:

"I don't leave my home without my sword and shield- my intellects." - Crystal Upholder
Bell wrote:It doesn't speak to me, in any way at all really. Blocker is nice given the shield thing, but overall it is just a modded Lancer. Which I suppose is okay but, it doesn't evoke any feeling from me at all. The Flavor text is sort of nice, but I'd have liked to see something else, I guess. I don't feel that every card needs to be original but this one just doesn't add anything.
Kyuukei wrote:Meh. Could've done so much more than this, really. Making it another Stealth evo strikes me as being way too reserved.
Micky wrote:Our expectations from a previous CCC winner are much higher. Sorry to say but this is just a train-wreck. Better luck next time.