7 :
8 :
9 : EE

Average cost = 2.875

Creatures / Spells / Runes: 35/5/0

3 Radiance, 0 Wind, 0 Ice, 0 Water, 0 Gravity, 31 Earth, 6 Fire, 0 Lightning

Blockers: 7.5000005% (3/40).
Damage 2: 5.0% (2/40).
This deck is actually the most fun I've ever had with Chaos Fractal and has really helped me discover my “style” all over again. Cap'n put it nicely in a conversation about LoL in which he summed up the types of Champions I play and how that relates to natures and finally to my deck. Regen tanks and Spammy champs.

In Duelmasters I created, entirely by accident, the deck Rain of Rikarios which involved me spamming as many high damage creatures into play as possible and, if all went well, winning completely in about six turns. In Chaos fractal I've aimed at a similar technique but on a smaller scale with more support around it. The Ant's are by far my favourite mechanic so far, with one of them covering pretty much all my bases.

LeafFall ant provides me with some anti discard (although considering that the bulk of this combo should be over by turn 3 or 4 discard doesn't shut it down as much as I thought it would). Fullrite ant ensures that any weenie kill spam early can be sort of avoided if I need to play a littlie out first to build up to the combo. Trailblazer is the bread and butter of the deck, allowing for me to spam as many low cost creatures as I can in one or two turns and overwhelming the opponent (all that tempo doesn't matter when your creatures and spells are all still relatively high cost).

Like RoR, the deck requires a lot of protection and resource gain in order to work. Unlike RoR, it's enemy isn't the rush or even massively a control style deck. It's main weakness is that the ants are relatively easy to dispose of en masse if you have the right cards as well as the fact that I can burn through cards at a pretty high rate.

I counter this by adding to the deck:

4 x Steady Roots
4 x Morning Glory
4 x Mammoth Trumpeter
2 x Demas Bison
3 x Free From Oppression.

While the Roots are a good offensive start and card in most any earth deck, here they are mainly to give me an initial play if I want to keep ants in hand to utilise the combo to the max. It also allows for synergy with Morning Glory, helping boost its power if I can't manage to stack them.

Mammoth Trumpeter is the second most important “non-ant” in the deck allowing me to fetch an oftentimes free Trailblazer from the deck at turn 4 or to fetch an elusive Morning Glory. If the combo is missing one component, Mammoth is there to find it and make it appear. He also acts as a card buffer once I run out of other things to play.

Demas and Free From Oppression are there for the resource gain, plain and simple. As well as Demas Bison packing a punch when a horde of hungry ants isn't enough...

Finally, the deck felt like it lacked in defensive capabilities and although I can amass manpower at a vast rate, keeping it there sometimes proved an issue. Spark Missile is small enough to not be a burden on tempo while it's ability means that if the opponent goes aggressive I can often make them pay by destroying two of their creatures the next turn if need be. Spark acts as a deterrent or even the catalyst for aggressive board control when I need it and if I need it. And with Mammoth, he's generally quite easy to get into play!

This deck is the first deck I've made that I feel is genuinely “good” with enough of most things to be played against most decks. I feel happiest when I can summon three ants on turn three winding up with a huge card advantage on my side of play and not a lot the opponent can initially respond with. The “power play” allows me to relax and focus on my next steps without worrying what they have to shut me down and even when I lose I feel satisfied that the duel was close as hell.

Thanks muchly to Cap'n who helped refine it to this point, I upped the number of Morning Glories and added Steady Roots because of you!
cap'n

Re: Panic Picnic

Post by cap'n »

Nice job and great post to go with it.

Have you considered using Ixthian, the Pathfinder as a Leader and further resource gain? Maybe even letting up on a Mammoth Trumpeter and others for room.
Also thinking about what other spells you could use; Steady Aim, Wooden Hammer, Full Sail, Air cannon, Quickfire Sedative, Hypothermia. Not sure what you want exactly yet but just throwing some more ideas towards you to consider.
Last edited by cap'n on Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rashaskool

Post by Rashaskool »

Ixthian I'll look at. Main idea is literally to get the swarm and win before they can really play past it.
ZeroVash

Post by ZeroVash »

A Balamar or 2 could be usefull. If they can't regen in time they'll fall to it. :)